Explore my artsy tote bags. Here are just six designs of over hundred+ of my different designs on tote bags. I do my best to be conscious of what I buy encased in plastic. Plastic, particularly plastic bags are littering our landfills and oceans. Using a tote bag for groceries and general shopping can really make a positive impact the amount of plastic used.
Using a tote bag is one of the ways I actively reduce my dependency on plastic. Often times when I get down about how little impact I (one person) can have on the environment. I have to remind myself that the power of one can in fact make a difference.
7 Reasons to use tote bags
There are quite a few credible websites that talk about the environment and the use of plastic bags. So here are some interesting facts.
- 100 billion plastic bags are used by Americans annually .
- 14 plastic bags are equivalent to the gas required to drive a mile.
- up to 80% of the oceans pollution enters the ocean by land
- only 1% of plastic bags are recycled.
- 1 in 3 leatherback turtles are found with plastic in their stomachs,
- It takes 500 or more years for plastic bags to degrade in a landfill.
Reduce, reuse, recycle
Statistics came from an excellent website called: https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/programs/population_and_sustainability/sustainability/plastic_bag_facts.html
” Plastic Ocean ” is streaming on Netflix.
Also for a lot more information about the environmental impact of plastic bags , check out the movie the “Plastic Ocean” https://plasticoceans.org
For inspirational quotes check out my blog https://margaretdill.com/2019/02/01/do-anything-walt-whitman-quote/